When I first figured out how to make teriyaki sauce, it never dawned to me that you would only need three core ingredients; Mirin, Light Soya Sauce and Sugar. There might be more ingredients in those ready made sauce from the groceries but I reckon with this 3 ingredients, it taste just the same!
- 2 Chicken Whole Leg
- 2 tablespoon of Mirin
- 2 tablespoon of Light Soya Sauce
- 2 tablespoon of Sugar
- Dash of pepper
- Combine the sauces and pepper in a small saucepan and bring it to boil.
- Preheat the oven with baking tray (line with foil) at 180C degrees.
- Let the sauce boil for 3 minutes till it thickens and caramelized. Pour it into a bowl.
- On the chicken whole leg, turn it to the skin side up. Slit the chicken with a sharp knife, about 3 slits (refer to above picture) to speed up the roasting process and to allow the sauce to penetrate into the flesh of the chicken.
- With a brush, brush the sauce onto the chicken and pop it in the oven, skin side down.
- Let the chicken cook for 15 minutes, then take it out, and turn it over, skin side up. Coat with the sauce again and return into the oven for another 15 minutes
- Take the chicken out again, and brush it one last time with the sauce. Pop it in the oven for another 5-10 minutes till the chicken is cooked through.
Instead of serving my hot bowl of Udon with Chicken Karaage, this time I served it with Chicken Teriyaki. Itadakimasu!